Friday, January 27, 2012

Praying For These Mothers

Just another typical day it seems.  Got up around 6:30am to give the big kids their wake-up call.  Wookeese strolls downstairs to say good-bye to daddy before he leaves for work.  S-Money$ and I pray with Wookeese before he leaves (we don't always get to do this, so it was nice!).  I finish the morning routine getting the big kids off to the bus stop.  Wookeese has his daily mini-tantrum/meltdown which results in discipline and me losing patience.  I decide to regain composure by having him help me cook as Nattie Bear sits high-chair side and watches as she nibbles. 

After the Littles go down for a nap I decide to do my usual internet stroll updating myself on blogs I follow and of course. . . facebook statuses.  A link from Pure Modesty's site catches my eye.  "It's a Girl" is the trailer title.  Hmm, sounds interesting.  Below the video I see an excerpt describing how young girls are being killed because they are simply a GIRL!   Whoa, now it's more than just interesting!  Please watch the video below and see for yourself. . . . .



Suddenly after watching this video things seem different to me.  The countless facebook statuses of complaining, pics of our kids, new hairdo/nails/etc, political propaganda, 'fml' lines, crude comments, famous quotes, what someone is making for dinner, misbehaving kids, blog updates scroll as my eyes gloss over the screen again.  Stunned.  It all seems pointless and futile at this point.  Like we're all in a twisted off-shoot of reality.  This bubble of cyberlife where status lines trashing an ex lover receive countless 'likes' and supportive comments to said poster.   What about posts like this?  Usually shared, a few comments voiced and then it fades into obscurity.  It's a shame.

But what about our daily routines jumbled with wake up, go to work (or stay home w/kids), come home, eat dinner, clean up, go to bed, then do it all again the next day.  Are we blinded by the monotony of our daily routines OR do we use the monotony of daily routines to block out addressing issues beyond our backyard so we don't have to 'feel' uncomfortable? 

This is my struggle.  I see injustice and what do I do?  What can I do?  Sometimes I feel overwhelmed just being where I am. . . yeah I know, sort of pathetic in the grand scheme of things in relation to world issues/problems.  But we are all depraved and sin has us all separated without Jesus Christ to save us.  These women are lost but many are probably more scared and confused having to make a decision they don't want to make.  Though I praise God I don't have to go through that struggle, my heart still aches for the lost little girls and YES even their mothers; for those forced to make a decision that they don't have the resources to run from. 

For right now, God has impressed it upon my heart to pray.  Pray for these women and children, pray for their spouses that look on, enable this to happen or feel just as lost and helpless as the mothers, pray for governments whose twisted legislation allow for such grave choices to have to be made by families.  Hug your girls and boys and JUST PRAY! 


Psalm 22:9-10, 19-22
Yet you brought me safely from my mother's womb
and led me to trust you when I was a nursing infant.
I was thrust upon you at my birth.
You have been my God from the moment I was born.

O Lord, do not stay away!
You are my strength; come quickly to my aid!
Rescue me from a violent death;
spare my precious life from these dogs.
Snatch me from the lions' jaws,
and from the horns of these wild oxen.
Then I will declare the wonder of your name to my brothers and sisters.
I will praise you among all your people.

2 comments:

  1. Ashley, I enjoy reading your blog. I relate in so many ways and you are usually my wake up call to what is truley important. We always seem to get lost in all that is happening in our lives and loose sight of what is happening around us. I get sucked up in this often, but always try to sit back at the end of the day and pray with the family and hug the boys. This usually reminds me quickly how truley blessed I am and allows me time to acknowledge and start from scratch the next day. Thanks again for keeping focused. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for taking the time to read! It's so hard to not only be a godly woman & wife (which I try continually!) but then add to that motherhood and . . . whew, I'm up to my ears in being overwhelmed! Like you, I've come to find prayer so helpful in keeping me 'grounded' despite all my selfish wants and even fears.

    Days won't always go as planned, justice will not always prevail and sometimes we will fail. I just thank God for the struggles to refine me and pray for another day to hopefully get it right. :)

    ReplyDelete