Monday, January 16, 2012

How Do You Do It??


"I don't know how you do it all!" is actually a phrase I've heard from several people.  Me?  Do it all?  **Insert idealized vision of what that might look like above**

I guess it's really subjective as the majority of those who have uttered that phrase to me typically have less children than I do.  Just like they are amazed at what I do with 4 going on 5 children, I am in the same respect humbled and in awe seeing mom's with more children than I who do so much more - like homeschooling/gardening/sewing.  One of these Mom's is Amy from Raising Arrows - whose blog post I am linking up to today.   She does an amazing job of taking care of her home, family as well as being a great encourager with God's Word!  *smile*

To be honest, I in no way, shape, or form see myself as someone who 'does it all'.  Maybe I put up a good show?  Seem to maintain my cool in front of others?  Either way, there is much that doesn't go right, small things - and large things - that go undone throughout my day.  Take last week for example. . . .
  • I started one morning spilling my leftover tea all over my nightstand when I tried to turn off my alarm at 6:30am with my hand half asleep - doh!
  • Managed to step in every wet spot on the kitchen floor that my husband left after cleaning the dishes. . . . in my clean socks.  Ick!
  • Forgot about a load of laundry in the washer one night and had to RE-wash it since it went sour.
  • Left an icky diaper in our room for over a day that the hubby just found.  But in my defense, it was bagged and tied so as to not be TOO offensive.  *sheepish grin*
  • Didn't time dinner correctly so we ate way late on Sat. night and ended up missing church that evening; instead going Sun. morning.
  • Didn't get all the bathrooms cleaned, laundry done, or purging the kids' clothes done like I would have liked.
Obviously, there are some leaks in my 'Doing It All' facade!  But when things don't work out the way I plan, I have a choice.  I can be frustrated/feel defeated/complain or I can count it all joy.  Yes, you heard me correctly!  I said I can Count It All Joy!  Why?  Because I'm not meant to do it all; no one is!

*This is a lie!!

Perfection is never achieved.  It's a lie which focuses only on self and what we can do on our own.  If I can do it all, then I negate my need for a Savior.  Instead I choose to rely on Him, ask for wisdom and in turn do better at coming up with a plan and tackling the next day with what I maybe didn't get done this day. 

First and foremost - I will start by relying on prayer.  Next, I'm better hoping to streamline my routines, home processes, etc. by gleaning information from other experienced moms like Amy from Raising Arrows, Kim from Raising Olives, Connie from Smockity Frocks and also from Kim Brenneman who wrote 'Large Family Logistics' - which I am currently reading.

So, I don't do it all.  I'm just a regular mom doing the best job I can do with God's grace. . . . . and of course with the patience of my family when I blunder!

**Also linked to:

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate you humility and heart! I love your list of recommendations. Large Family Logistics is one of my absolute favorite books on manage a home and family. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jacinda (love your name!). :)
    I'm at part way through chapt. 17 in Lg. Family Logistics and I am loving the book too! So much great info I can utilize in our house - definitely a blessing!

    ReplyDelete